What to look out for in used E70?

KBRENNY

I am a new member here, just registered. I learned 14 years ago I could have save myself some major headaches if I would have joined the VW TDI forums and done some reading before I purchased my first VW TDI.

I am looking at purchasing a Diesel X5 probably in the 2006 to 2013 year model range.
I currently have a 2003 Jetta TDI and a 2001 Silverado 4x4. I would like to have just one vehicle to clean, maintain etc.
I feel the X5 diesel would fill the purpose of both my current vehicles.

As I am looking at used X5 diesels for sale are there any major things to look for, avoid, or double check before buying? At what mileage do they become money pits?

I am not scared of turning wrenches. I installed new cylinder heads on my Silverado last year and my VW has larger turbo, larger injectors, stage 3 clutch, stage 4 tune, and much more. All the wrenching was done by myself. I am currently on my third VW TDI and have always done my own maintenance, timing belts, repairs, and modifications. I just want to make sure I am not jumping into something that would be a waste of time and money.

The X5 diesel appeals to me because it can handle light towing, it is 4 wheel drive, and gets decent fuel mileage.

I am not set on the 2006 to 2013 model years, they just seem the most affordable and available.

I also have a mechanic friend who specializes in European diesel repairs. I would definitely have him look any X5 over before I purchased one.

I am a new member here, just registered. I learned 14 years ago I could have save myself some major headaches if I would have joined the VW TDI forums and done some reading before I purchased my first VW TDI.

I am looking at purchasing a Diesel X5 probably in the 2006 to 2013 year model range.
I currently have a 2003 Jetta TDI and a 2001 Silverado 4x4. I would like to have just one vehicle to clean, maintain etc.
I feel the X5 diesel would fill the purpose of both my current vehicles.

As I am looking at used X5 diesels for sale are there any major things to look for, avoid, or double check before buying? At what mileage do they become money pits?

I am not scared of turning wrenches. I installed new cylinder heads on my Silverado last year and my VW has larger turbo, larger injectors, stage 3 clutch, stage 4 tune, and much more. All the wrenching was done by myself. I am currently on my third VW TDI and have always done my own maintenance, timing belts, repairs, and modifications. I just want to make sure I am not jumping into something that would be a waste of time and money.

The X5 diesel appeals to me because it can handle light towing, it is 4 wheel drive, and gets decent fuel mileage.

I am not set on the 2006 to 2013 model years, they just seem the most affordable and available.

I also have a mechanic friend who specializes in European diesel repairs. I would definitely have him look any X5 over before I purchased one.
I just joined this group today. Hooyah! I just picked up an ‘11 E70 Diesel for my wife’s BDay. It’s awesome! I drive a MB W212 (E250- 4Matic Bluetec). When I sold my B7 (Passat) 6SpM TDI back to VW four years ago they blew the opportunity to put me in another B7 TDI that was already corrected for emissions. I drove by an Independent MB Dealer and struck a deal on the Benz. No looking back! The E70 is quiet. Built like a Tank. And it gets >30mpg on the Highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk