Manually unlock steering wheel?

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, just got a 1995 cosmo black M3 last month. Yesterday, I encountered the NOTORIOUS ignition/switch problem. It happened after the car stocked. I tried to restart the engine, but the key didn't feel any traction in the tumbler as it turned, and the engine could not be started. Even after I pulled the key out, the car was still in standy-by mode. Later on, car towed back home and I found an article from the 3-series forum about the ignition switch and tumbler connection problem. I followed the post by removing the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel, then unscrewed the two painted screws under the big brown round thing, which was the switch. I then used my car key to turn the switch off. Then, I saw the metal on back of the tumbler, and I used a needled nose plyer to turn it foward as to make it inline with the switch. After that, I put the switch back with the tumbler. However, there was still some contact issue between swtich and tumbler. Since I was actually able to turn on the engine using the switch itself, I decided to drive to some local auto body. However, the steering wheel was locked...I just wonder if there is any way to manually unlock the steering wheel, i.e. thru the tumbler or some wiring, such that I dun need to tow the car to the auto body. SORRY for long post, seriously seeking some help here. Thanks a lot!!

I know that an E30 steering wheel lock can be removed after removing the steering wheel. There is a ring with a tab that sticks out (the lock) that is held in by a few screws in the back of the wheel. Once it is removed you're home free... but like I said, that is on an E30... however, you need to be able to unlock the wheel to actually remove it from the steering column, so in effect, you're stuck. Sorry, hopefully someone else has an idea. My suggestion to you would be to repost this on the E36 part of this board.